1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? Went gluten-free.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did not make resolutions or set goals last year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? There are a couple of new babies out there in web land that I count as close to me. Particularly Miss Arabella. She’s a doll.
4. Did anyone close to you die? My “other mother” died in October. My fuzzy nephew, Carson, went to the bridge August 12. He was the sweetest golden retriever and it makes me unbearably sad just thinking about how suddenly he left us.
5. What countries did you visit? None.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? Time. It seems to be my universal answer, but there it is. I’m hoping the schedule process will help me with that.
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? March 11. The day that Sam had her first, and so far, only seizure. Gave me a serious reality check. I never even considered that she might die at home before that night. November 1. The day my doctor let me down. Big time. And December 12. The day that Katie announced she was not wearing diapers anymore. And she hasn’t (except at night, and she doesn’t really need them then either).
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Learning to flex with Ben more on homeschooling.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not paying better attention to the signals my body was giving me.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes. It’s been a long year health-wise. I spent time in the ER. I very nearly got myself admitted over breathing issues. My body has been in a state of revolt for about a year now. At least I’m finally paying attention.
11. What was the best thing you bought? iPhone. Definitely the iPhone. It’s so awesome to have all of my devices speaking to each other. Finally.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Ben’s. I’m not saying he’s been great, because he hasn’t. There have been days where all that stood between him and reform school is the fact that they really don’t exist anymore. BUT, he’s been willing to try more new things (food, activities, etc.,) and he’s actually matured quite a bit in the last few months. I’m so very, very proud of him.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Um, not anybody’s really.
14. Where did most of your money go? It’s a toss up between MOSI, the Zoo, and Amazon.
15. What did you get really excited about? Our Thanksgiving trip to the Gaylord Palms. It was a lot of fun, even if Katie ended up adding another “booboo bear” to her collection.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011? “Hell on the Heart” — Eric Church. (It’s Peyton’s song). And “Who Are You When I’m Not Looking” — Blake Shelton.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? I think I’m happier. I feel like I’m finally getting a grip on the health battle I’ve been in and that I can actually make good progress toward being able to do more. Compared to the beginning of the year, I’m a dynamo now :).
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Resting and spending real time with the kids.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Working.
20. How did you spend Christmas? With family. Extra special family because my sibling, her husband, and her son (also known as my nephew) were here. We had a blast with Master E (including Sam, who has returned to her old ways and spent the day out with us, essentially).
21. Did you fall in love in 2011? Corn tostadas.
22. Think of something important to mention. Life is what you make of it.
23. How many one-night stands? None.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Top Chef and Iron Chef America.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don’t hate anyone. I dislike a number of people, but I don’t hate anyone.
26. What was the best book you read? If I have to Tell You One More Time . . . by Amy McCready.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Cee Lo Green
28. What did you want and get? iPhone
29. What did you want and not get? I really can’t think of anything that I wanted and didn’t get. Not anything.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? I don’t think I’ve seen a single film from this year. I want to see The King’s Speech. Does that count?
31. What did you do on your birthday? No clue.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Figuring out the health issues sooner and being more proactive in resolving them.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Jeans and t-shirts or yoga pants and tops. I’m pretty boring, really.
34. What kept you sane? My friend, Heidi.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Sticking with George Clooney. At this point, I think he’s getting to be a habit with me (name that singer).
36. What political issue stirred you the most? At this point, I’m pretty politically exhausted. Seriously. I’m dreading the 2012 political season.
37. Who do you miss? Mom (aka other mother). Carson. Some friends who have chosen not to be friends anymore.
38. Who was the best new person you met? Cara from Peanuts are Evil.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011. Sometimes, I have to trust myself and my own judgement.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
We live, we love, we forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
And today we remember to live and to love
“We Live” — Superchick