1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before? Had lithotripsy for kidney stones.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did not make resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Several online friends had babies this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Don and my cousin, Charlie.
5. What countries did you visit? None.
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017? Energy. I am going to have to work a lot harder at being healthy from now on.
7. What date from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? April 12. The day that Katie had her second reconstructive surgery.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Recognizing that God was saying it was time to walk away and then doing it.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not realizing how sad Katie had been or how tough Katie’s surgery was going to be on Ben.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Kidney stone.
11. What was the best thing you bought? An iPad for Ben that can run the apps he uses.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? People who stand up and speak when something is wrong.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The current White House occupant.
14. Where did most of your money go? Judy’s Dance Academy and Amazon.
15. What did you get really excited about? Essential Oils. Who would have figured that?
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2017? “Mended” Matthew West; “Try Everything” Shakira; “World Changers” Matthew West; “Sound of Surviving” Nichole Nordeman; “Lions” Skillet; “Crazy Beautiful You” Leann Crawford; “The Beautiful Things We Miss” Matthew West
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? I think I’m mostly tired. The last month took a lot out of me.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I wish I was more spontaneous and less driven by schedules.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Express my frustration.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Watching my kids open presents and resting.
21. Did you fall in love in 2017? With essential oils. Yes.
22. Think of something important to mention. If the door is closed, maybe it isn’t your door.
23. How many one-night stands? None.
24. What was your favorite TV program? The Crown.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don’t hate anyone. I dislike a number of people, but I don’t hate anyone.
26. What was the best book you read? Non-fiction: You Can Do This: Seizing the Confidence God Offers by Tricia Lott Williford. Fiction: Sisters One, Two, Three by Nancy Star
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Leann Crawford
28. What did you want and get? Successful surgical outcomes.
29. What did you want and not get? A puppy. Maybe 2018 will be my year.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Leap!
31. What did you do on your birthday? Sat in a dance studio.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Planning more intentional family time and organizing more family fun activities.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017? Jeans and t-shirts.
34. What kept you sane? Music.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? No one really.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? Healthcare.
37. Who do you miss? Don. I really miss his voice behind me at the 8am service.
38. Who was the best new person you met? Fr. Pete
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017. You have to let go of one thing for something better to come along.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“You’ve had your share of life ain’t fair but you don’t tap out
My money says you’ll still be swinging ’til the last round
When the odds say you should quit, well, you do the opposite, yeah
That’s what you are
You’re the fighter that doesn’t know how to back down”
Never Ever Give Up — Matthew West