Everyone is sick, including P, so it’s been a really light week. I’m a bit overwhelmed by work and by how far behind we got with some stuff in homeschool. Next week marks a return to some more school like activities.
- In my life this week… I retrieved the Mighty Mac from the Apple store and it now works again. The plan is to clean it off and give it to P. That will be done soon.
- In our homeschool this week… Ben has been planning his art project for the art show at the Zoo School. He needs to use three different animals and two different art techniques in his project. He has decided on his animals, but is still working on his planned art techniques. Katie has been doing a lot of iPad school. She is an independent learner and doesn’t want a lot of assistance, so this is working for her for now.
- Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share… Good apps are worth their weight in gold. Katie adores Smarty Pants School and Teach Me: Kindergarten and something with monkeys, but I don’t remember what it is. Also, Reading Raven and Letter School.
- I am inspired by… my students. They are working so hard and putting in a lot of effort on their assignments. I’m really pleased with their work.
- Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… this was zoo school week. Ben learned about Florida strangers. Non-native animals, in particular, that are destroying native wildlife. I think he really enjoyed this lesson. We also went to dance and Wednesday night at church. Today, we’ll be going to see Dr. W — the kids’ eye doctor. Ben is not expecting a good report, but we’re hopeful that Katie will get one.
- My favorite thing this week was… watching Katie write her alphabet today. I am amazed, honestly, given that she has not practiced this skill at all.
- What’s working/not working for us… Working: project time. Ben is devoting his project time this month to his art project for the art show. He’s still interested in graphic novels and took one of the blank comic books that I have to work on that project as well. I keep a stash of blank books from: www.barebooks.com available for the kids — this is one supply that they do have to ask for, but their requests are rarely turned down. Not working: too much unstructured time. Ben needs more specific guidance and activities, but finding ones that he’s willing to do is challenging. I’m not sure how to work with him or what he might want to do.
- Questions/thoughts I have… Our biggest challenge is that he wants to be able to do school the way that Katie does, but there aren’t great apps for his age group like there are for hers. It’s a consistent struggle.
- Things I’m working on… I’m working on catching up project life (I’m a couple of weeks behind), and fixing the pages that I did because I discovered that I didn’t fully understand how the templates work. I’m trying to get some cross-stich time in and I need to work on making a nine shirt for my sister’s niece. I’m hoping to get it done in time for my parents to take it up at Easter :).
- I’m reading… The Art of Forgiving, The Power of Zip in a Heavenly Light and Minimalist Parenting.
- I’m cooking… cheese quesadillas on corn tortillas. I love them very much. Especially on Fridays.
- I’m grateful for…Good friends. Rediscovering the Pomodoro technique thanks to Ann Voskamp’s 25 For Sanity Manifesto (please be aware that she has auto-music on her site. You can turn it off on the page — lower left hand side of the page.
- I’m praying for… all of the people and institutions on the parish prayer chain. And for all the kids and parents on spring break in the coming week. Also, Katie’s friend who is having surgery on Tuesday. It’s not a big deal, but it’s surgery.
- A photo, video, link, or quote to share… Katie writing her letters:
This is part of the Homeschool Mother’s Journal blog hop. To see what other folks have been doing this week go here.
Please be aware that there are affiliate links in this post.