1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? Saw Brad Paisley in concert.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did not make resolutions or set goals last year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Not this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Oh, heavens. I lost a blogging friend, a labrador friend, two friends lost their fathers, and my great Aunt passed.
5. What countries did you visit? None.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? Patience. I need to work on being more patient with P and with the kids.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? August 30. Ben and I went to Busch Gardens and he rode every roller coaster he ever wanted to.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting Sam through the year alive.
9. What was your biggest failure? Losing energy and not being as strong as I need to be for my kids.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Severe foot problems.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Toss up between the iPad Mini and the Mac Air. Both have made my life so much easier and measurably better.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? P’s. He is working hard at a new position and has to work really hard on being more open and it’s tough.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My cousin’s. I could not believe how he attacked several people who are friends of mine. This whole 2012 election season was uncomfortable.
14. Where did most of your money go? Amazon and Apple.
15. What did you get really excited about? Our passes to Busch Gardens. I would never have imagined that we would enjoy those as much as we have.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012? “Hard to Love” — Lee Brice and “Fix You” — Coldplay. Both songs remind me of Sam. “Remind Me Who I Am” by Jason Gray.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? A little sadder. I feel like things are challenged in a lot of areas and I need to work harder to get things under control and appropriately developed.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Writing and working on more things with the kids.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Working.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Sick. I really hate being sick. Ben and Katie and I were all so sick we could barely enjoy the holiday.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? Mojo pork from Publix.
22. Think of something important to mention. The only thing we’re guaranteed is the moment we’re in.
23. How many one-night stands? None.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Top Chef, Iron Chef America, and Dance Moms.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don’t hate anyone. I dislike a number of people, but I don’t hate anyone.
26. What was the best book you read? Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka and Daring Greatly by Brene Brown.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Jason Gray
28. What did you want and get? iPad mini
29. What did you want and not get? Nothing really.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Brave.
31. What did you do on your birthday? Made cupcakes with Katie and ferried Ben back and forth from camp.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Feeling less like I had to fight for my kid every where he goes.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Jeans and t-shirts or yoga pants and tops. I’m pretty boring, really.
34. What kept you sane? Finding a good dance studio for the kids.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Sticking with George Clooney. At this point, I think he’s getting to be a habit with me (name that singer).
36. What political issue stirred you the most? This political season was so horrifying. Just so horrifying. I have never been so glad for anything to be over.
37. Who do you miss? I miss the friends I made at the other dance class.
38. Who was the best new person you met? Our assistant rector at church. I feel like I have a real connection there now.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. Homeschool doesn’t have to look anything like real school.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
“Glass” — Thompson Square