1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? Started taking photography classes online.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did not keep as many as I thought I would, but more than I anticipated. I am planning to set some goals for the new year, but I haven’t completely decided on what they’re going to be.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My sister! I have a nephew!!!
4. Did anyone close to you die? My father-in-law passed on December 13. My daughter’s godmother lost her sister on June 8th.
5. What countries did you visit? None.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? More time to pursue my passions and to invest in my kids.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? September 15. October 24. The two most amazing things happened on those days. The people who know the significance of those dates know what why.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Learning to think more creatively and being willing to take suggestions as I work on that process.
9. What was your biggest failure? Letting myself get sucked up in Internet drama that didn’t really concern me. Not focusing long enough to get things done the way I should have.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? The usual assortment of colds, flus, sprains, aches, and pains, but nothing that required surgery or other massive intervention.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Oh, man. So hard to decide: the iPad, the smartphone, the Kindle? It has to be one of the three if not all three. Sheesh.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? P for amazing grace under intense pressure during the last couple of months.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My mother in law’s, honestly. I wish things were different, but they aren’t and I can’t do anything about that.
14. Where did most of your money go? Honestly? Amazon. I swear I have had a bad, bad shopping habit over the last bit. Definitely planning to reform that soon.
15. What did you get really excited about? The kids’ first trip to DisneyWorld that coincided with Ben’s birthday. It was a great trip and lots of fun for all involved.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010? “Stuck Like Glue” — Sugarland
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? I wish wiser was an option because that’s how I feel. Not necessarily happy, but I’m learning things I need to learn and I’m working on being a better person and a better parent.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I wish I’d had more time to pursue the things I love: knitting, quilting, cross-stitching.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Shopping. Surfing. I have bad habits with a live internet connection. Going to work on that later.
20. How did you spend Christmas? With family. We had a good morning with the kids and then spent the afternoon with our parents. It was a good Christmas.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010? Yes, with Peppermint Bark.
22. Think of something important to mention. Keeping a one year image diary of each of my children between 1 and 2 has been the most interesting thing I’ve ever done.
23. How many one-night stands? None.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Top Chef
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don’t hate anyone. I dislike a number of people, but I don’t hate anyone.
26. What was the best book you read? Four-way tie: The Family Dinner: Great Ways to Connect with Your Kids, One Meal at a Time; Discipline Without Distress: 135 tools for raising caring, responsible children without time-out, spanking, punishment or bribery; The Beauty of Different; Project: Happily Ever After: Saving Your Marriage When the Fairytale Falters
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Zac Brown Band
28. What did you want and get? Kindle. iPad. Smartphone.
29. What did you want and not get? Honestly, I think I have everything that I want. It’s a weird feeling to not really need anything. I’m still on the hunt for the “right” coat. I just can’t find one that’s exactly right. Yes, sibling, if you’re reading this, yours is right, but I can’t figure out based on the website which one it is.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Oh, boy. Um, this sounds really, really bad: Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue.
31. What did you do on your birthday? I don’t remember. And boy, that sounds bad.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Seeing more honest success with my students. I’m still working on how to achieve what I hope to see. Maybe in 2011, I’ll get there.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Jeans and t-shirts or yoga pants and tops. I’m pretty boring, really.
34. What kept you sane? Keeping my gratitude journal. And reading books that helped me understand myself and my world a little better.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?Sticking with George Clooney. At this point, I think he’s getting to be a habit with me (name that singer).
36. What political issue stirred you the most? Health care reform and the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell repeal.
37. Who do you miss? Some old friends I’ve lost touch with. I often wonder what happened to them. Makes me sad.
38. Who was the best new person you met? I’d have to say Kim from It’s a Beautiful Wreck. She’s funny, honest, and something of a homeschooling mentor.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. I don’t have to be perfect for people to love me. I just have to be me.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Save your strength for things that you can change, forget the ones you can’t, you gotta let it go” “Let it Go” Zac Brown Band.
What a great list! (I can’t remember what happened on my last birthday either…but I do recall the 3 important ones:)
Happy New Year!
p.s. May I borrow this list? I would like to put up a post soon but don’t have much coherent to say these days.
Sure thing. It wasn’t mine originally anyway :).